The Single Central Record Guide

Which checks are statutory for me to carry out?

It is your statutory duty to indicate, for all of the following checks:

(a)   Whether the check has been completed
(b)  Whether you have obtained certificates or evidence
(c)   What date each check was completed /each certificate obtained

It is your statutory duty to record the above 3 points (a-c) for the below checks:

  • Identity check. 
  • Barred List check.
  • Check a person’s right to work in the UK.
  • Enhanced DBS certificate check.
  • Prohibition from Teaching check.
  • Checks on people who have lived or worked outside the UK:
  • Checks for those who have lived in the European Economic Area (EEA) teacher sanctions and restrictions.
  • Professional qualifications check, where required.

Specific key differences to note:

  • For academies, independent schools and free schools, a Section 128 check for management positions (explored in more detail later)
  • For colleges, you must record whether the person’s position involves ‘relevant activity’ with children (“regularly caring for, training, supervising or being solely in charge of persons aged under 18”) 

It is your statutory duty to keep copies of the documents used to verify the successful candidate’s identity, right to work and required qualifications in the personnel file. If you use SCR Tracker, you can also upload these to the bottom of the staff member’s profile.

All of the above will be explored in further detail in the sections below. 

Share This Page